Rate this page
Industry-leading accuracy from the new MCP3903 AFE from Microchip
Microchip's first stand-alone 6-channel Analogue Front-End (AFE) simplifies smart metering and power monitoring of three-phase supplies or multiple loads by simultaneously sampling six inputs and delivering industry-leading accuracy.
The MCP3903 AFE combines a typical signal-to-noise and distortion (SINAD) of 91 dB and total harmonic distortion (THD) of -104 dB to give you industry-leading accuracy for smart metering and power monitoring applications.
By integrating six 16-/24-bit delta-sigma analogue-to-digital converters (ADCs), the MCP3903 lets you sample six inputs simultaneously to reduce component count and cost. The MCP3903 also packs programmable gain amplifiers (PGAs), a low-drift voltage reference and phase-delay compensation into a 28-pin SSOP to give you the flexibility to streamline and add more functions your design.
Pair the MCP3903 with a PIC® microcontroller, for a complete, high-accuracy solution for utility meters, power-monitoring equipment and instrumentation.
• Start your design with the MCP3903 Evaluation Board for 16-bit MCU (ADM00310)
• Explore LCD Flash PIC MCUs with the PICDEMTM LCD 2 demonstration board (DM163030)
• Evaluate 16- and 32-bit MCUs and dsPIC33F DSCs with the Explorer 16 development board (DM240001/2)
• Add IEEE 802.15.4TM/ZigBee® and IEEE 802.11TM/WiFi with the PICtailTM daughtercard (AC164134-1)
Get started in 3 Easy Steps:
1. Combine the MCP3903 with a PIC MCU or dsPIC® DSC
2. Learn from the Utility Metering Design Centre at www.microchip.com/get/eumeter
3. Design meters and monitors with industry-leading accuracy
For more information, or details on the full range of Microchip products available from Anglia, please email email@example.com
This news article was originally published in October 2011.